Get your team up to speed with CloudHiro's famous FinOps training
We periodically run a FinOps course online or onsite, directly or through partners. It's a two days 16 hours course. The next dates are:
This course is intended to provide a working knowledge of cloud FinOps to all people in the organization, that are involved with cloud purchase and usage.
On Completion, Delegates will be able to
Understand the various cloud pricing schemes and cost generators. Understand the role of FinOps in the organization. Understand cloud bills. Implement cloud cost management strategies in their organization.
Who should attend?
Product managers, Project managers, DevOps, Purchase, and finance at all levels.
Working knowledge of one of the main clouds (AWS, Azure, GCP). This means you have completed the 4 hours of AWS business accreditation or equivalent.
Introductions – 30 min.
What is FinOps, and why do we need it? – 30 min.
The financial side: (7 H)
- Pricing models and vectors – 1 H
- Per Action/Resource/GB/Service
- Multiple vectors per service sometimes 7+
- The idea of commit to get a discount
- RIs – Term/Payment type/Resource type/ (GCP Commited usage)
- RI type (convertible/Regional/AZ) includes or not capacity reservations
- Saving plans
- Sustained usage discounts
- RI strategies and architectural strategies derived from RIs
- Automated RI tools
- Selling RIs on the marketplace
- What are spots
- How do spots work
- Spot price differences and fluctuation
- What can I run on spots?
- What is tiered pricing?
- Example of tiered price services
- AWS Organization structure & billing allocation
- Azure Tenant structure & billing allocation
- GCP Organization structure (here) & billing allocation
- EDP, MAP, Free tiers, Credits, Discounts etc...
- What are CSPs MSPs?
- What can I get from CSP/MSP?
- What is the marketplace
- Why buy software on the marketplace?
- Visualization tools
- Verification tools
The technical side: (7H)
- The basics
- Tagging and attribution – 30 min
- Right-sizing – 30 min
- Unused resources – 30 min
- Monitoring & alerting – 1 H
- What can be auto-scaled?
- Basically everything, Compute, Storage, Lambda (Worm)
- Cloud shared responsibility model
- Why is security expensive?
- NAT example
- Encryption and performance
- Use free tools
- Buy in the marketplace
- Architect correctly & use new features
- K8S as an example
- Tagging and budget allocation
- Alerts and false alarms
- The cost of auto-manager resources
- A few examples
- The savings
- Why clouds drive you to managed
- The size rule
- or when are you big enough to manage it yourself
The hard side: (1 H)
- Pricing & Projecting
- Business params
- Correlation between cost and business params
- Also on billing
- The effect of the architecture on cost
- Work load placement
- Multi cloud architectures
- A few tips and tricks
Final Q & A – 30 min